Thursday, November 17, 2005

Physiological Changes

There are some strange physical things that happen to you while you're down here. Most of them have to do with the extreme dryness – cracked skin, cuts that don’t heal without the help of Crazy Glue (an approved remedy, but not one you should use often), bloody noses, sore throats, and scaly scalps. Others are a bit stranger or grosser…the feeling of arthritis in your hands when you wake up, sticky, fluorescent-green snot and quick-growing fingernails and hair. Furthermore, almost everyone’s “normal” body temperature drops 1 degree Celsius to 36 or 96.8 degrees Fahrenheit.

I was talking to the Station physician one day and I mentioned that Michiel and I have noticed new gray hairs coming in faster than normal. He had noticed the same phenomenon with his own hair and explained that people seem to age faster here……great…...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Sheri and Michiel, I can't wait for some close-up portraits of you, should be really interesting! Especially the fluoresent parts. Will we still recognize you when you come home, grey and fluoresent green, yakkie.

Real Time Web Analytics