



This season, I manage four people in the Passenger Services section of the Antarctic Terminal Operations department (basically – logistics). We specifically handle all movement of passengers from McMurdo to Christchurch, the South Pole and Field Camps. We enter info into our (very out-dated, DOS-based) passenger tracking software, weigh passengers and their baggage, coordinate shuttle pick ups and drop offs, order lunches (vegetarian or regular) and send out all of the communications on take offs and landings to the world. For passengers traveling to Christchurch, we request hotels and onward travel arrangements to the travel agency in NZ.
The biggest challenge is the number of changes to flights that we have to track and respond to and communicating those changes to the station, South Pole and Christchurch. We manage a PowerPoint presentation with updated flight info that is broadcast on the television and have several locations where we have printed out notifications.
My staff work 24/7 – each of them work five 12-hour days. Two of them work days and two of them work nights. We swap them halfway through the season. I am supposed to work 7:30 to 5:30 on Monday through Saturday, but I have been working far more than that. I have adjusted my schedule to 8 to 7 on Monday through Friday and a half day on Saturday. We’ll see how that goes…..
Michiel is working in the IT department as a System Administrator. He manages email accounts and updates and maintains servers (from a software perspective). I'd have to have him add more detail here! He works a normal shift - 7:30 to 5:30 on Monday through Saturday, but has a lot more flexibility to come in later or take a longer break during the day in order to go running (he is training for another Antarctic marathon). He'll make up the hours on Sundays and evenings when servers require maintenance.
We don't have much time to ourselves, but we both are trying to do some running (he is a lot more serious about it than I am - but I am training for the half-marathon) and go to yoga classes once per week. The picture below shows Michiel with his frozen beard, proving that that at the moment temperatures are quite chilly. (wind chills of -40f/ -40c) are not uncommon. In fact we are both wondering wheter it is colder than last year or whether we just chose to only remember the fine summer weather we left behind last summer. We have also been trained to work in the greenhouse and will be doing that once per week. We also try to squeeze in some movie time - Fridays are documentary night - and some socializing time and I am still trying to put together some kind of music project.

Sadly, we both need lots of sleep so we don't have as much fun and down time as we'd like.
2 comments:
Good to hear from you! I can only say that I hope your working schedule will change a bit so that you can have more fun! Fun is important I think, no wonder that my trip to Thailand this winter is booked...:-) (21/12 - 12/1)
Take care,
liefs van Sandra
Welcome back! Missed you.
Michiel, I think the grey beard suits you better, gives us a look into the future.
But I hope it will freeze off entirely.
Punen for both of you.
Post a Comment