This season has seen a lot of running again. When we just get down here in October, it is rather cold (-40F/C wind chill easily) and it is really a challenge to run outside. The alternative is an old gym which houses some 'crappy' treadmills and other fitness equipment. The treadmills often don't incline and sometimes lie about their speed if they run at all. In their defense I must say that they are old and are being worked very hard (.......numbers here........) Another bad point about the gym is that it is warm, smelly and lacking oxygen.
Quite a lot of races have been organized; some of which we have run. Turkey Trot (extra prizes for dressing up) Ob Hill up Hill (short distance but very steep) ; Scott Hut Race (5K) . And I joined a couple of people in a self invented Grand Slam, where we connected 4 recreational routes in 1 go. It earned us a commemorative trail marker and much respect.

On the bus to the start. Do I look scared? At the starting line. Running near the Willy Field Runway.
The master of all races was of course the Marathon. 26 miles on the sea-ice for runners and skiers. This year the conditions were less favorable than last year between -2C and 3C (28 to 37F) with wind chill temps at 14F/-10C. Wind speed of 24 knots (44 kph or 28 mph)
Not very cold, but very windy.
The numbers:
7 skiers (first place was an incredible 2:17:12)
18 runners (first place 3:36:51)
I came in 6th with 4:18:38 which is (I am proud to say) 1 hour faster than last year.
Sheri was one of the half marathon runners, and despite the fact that she has had a cold and not a lot of training she managed to finish in a decent time and not be overly sore the next day. Not bad for someone who isn't all that fond of running.
Start of the Turkey Trot.

2 comments:
Well done, both of you!!! I was just about to ask when you were running, I knew it was somewhere in January. 1 hour less seems enormous to me, especially with worse conditions than last year. I guess it is a learning process?
Puun
Goed gedaan! Ik kan me er ook niet zo veel bij voorstellen, probeer mijzelf in shape te houden op de sportschool, wat nu iets minder saai is omdat veel collega's mij vergezellen daar.
Wordt het voor jullie niet eens tijd om weer deze kant op te reizen, trouwens?
Liefs, Sandra
Post a Comment