After the holiday, we spent several weeks in the States with family in Huntsville, Alabama and then in Terlingua, Texas near Big Bend National Park. In both places, they were experiencing record cold temperatures and even snow (in Alabama) but that didn´t dampen our enthusiasm.
It was wonderful to be able to spend lots of quality time with Jon (my brother), Aor and Jake and my mom, who made the trip from Florida to be with us. Not returning to Antarctica this season meant that I haven´t played drums in a while so I especially enjoyed playing Rock Band with them - plus my 6 year old nephew is a killer singer, drummer, and guitarist, my brother rocks the guitar and vocals and Michiel made his first semi-public appearance as lead singer. Going to the Space and Rocket Center (Huntsville is home to NASA´s Marshall Space Flight Center), showing Jake his first stalagtites at the impressive Cathedral Caverns and getting to be a part of their lives for a couple of weeks were really wonderful.
In Texas, we did lots of hiking with our friends from Alaska, Todd, Barb and Liam and got to experience desert life in low-key, hippy style in Terlingua. The highlights (aside from the company, of course) were the wild animals, which included roadrunners (they don´t really say "meep meep"), coyotes, mule deer, wild boar (javalinas) and a MOUNTAIN LION from far too close by. Having a mountain lion run between us while we were watching deer at the Chisos Basin campground was one of our top ten moments in nature ever!

2 comments:
Heyya,
Just found your blog. Great to get your thoughts on Spain--I have wondered about it as a travel destination for a while. And great to see you following the dream and your ideals.
I finished the micro-hydro at our house. It was a good summer to put it in (drought), but not so good to make electricity (drought) I'm eagerly waiting the break-up and capturing all that snow up the drainage from us. I should get 4-500 watts continuous out of it. At the end of summer it will taper off to about 200 watts. Not as much as I wanted but it is a long-term thing, and just part of the solution. I hope to add solar panels soon.
I'm working for Intelligent Energy Systems now. We do mostly wind and smart grid installations in rural Alaska. We are small, the work is volatile and crazy, but it is meaningful to me so I keep at it. This is in the area I have wanted to work in for so long. Antarctica ended up being a bridge to this work. Strange paths.
Enjoy your travels. Stop by when you are in Alaska. I'd love to talk in detail with you both about travel, sustainable practices, everything 907-444-8413.
wow, Michiel as a lead singer. He looks very inspired/ inspiring...a real 'x factor' winner! ;-)
I guess you will be leaving Holland soon. See you soon, I hope and good luck in La France...
love, Sandra
Post a Comment