Saturday, September 27, 2014

The New Adventure Begins

The latest and greatest (?) adventure - South Georgia Island

Today is the first step on the way to South Georgia Island.  After weeks of preparation, in just a couple of hours, the house will be winterized and I'll decamp to a friend's house in Toulouse for the evening.

Leaving for six months isn't new but packing for six months to go to a place without a shop of any kind IS.  For the first time, I've had to pack all of my toiletries.  Two months ago, I started keeping tally of the feminine hygiene supplies used each month.  Two days ago, I counted out and bagged all of the tampons and pads I might need for the months ahead.  It's great to be a woman!

Here's the pile before it made it into the baggage (minus a super pair of Muck waterproof/insulated boots that are waiting for me in England):


It fits!
Here is the clean, mouse-proof and winterized house.

Sunroom

Living Room

Bedroom

Kitchen

Tomorrow morning, I'll fly from Toulouse to London Heathrow, where I'll be met by my newest buddy and future colleague, Rachel.  She'll take me back to her place near Cambridge for the day and I'm certain that we will find and devour our last authentic ethnic food for a long while.  

In the evening, her boyfriend will drive us to Brize Norton Royal Air Force Base and we'll board the Airbus Voyager for the 19 hour flight to the Falkland Islands.

I hope that I'll be able to keep up this blog throughout the 6 months.  It all depends on the internet speed and bandwidth.  Please let me know that you're reading by leaving comments.  I love to hear from readers. 

1 comment:

Chris said...

Hi Sheri, I'm glad you're getting to experience a new adventure! I had the chance to visit South Georgia, on a Nat Geo/Linblad tourist cruise back in October/November 2010, and loved the place. I take it you're working for BAS at King Edward Point? We got to stop there for the day and see the station and Shackleton's grave. At least you're a lot closer to Michiel at Palmer, then if you were in France!

-Chris

Real Time Web Analytics