![]() |
| Stockfish (cod) hanging to dry in Reine, Norway |
It is now almost 1 month into my 3 month deployment. Jeroen, the colleague that was doing the turnover with me left to work on another Nat. Geo ship and I am left in charge of IT here. I’ve had my first turnaround day (where the previous guests leave and the new ones come on board) and there were no major hiccups with the checking in of the new guests (unlike the first time). That very same evening our hotel manager hosted a welcome cocktail evening, where he describes the workings and practicalities on the ship and unfortunately expects the IT officer to give a little talk about how the internet works on board. I say unfortunately, because I do not like to talk in front of a group of people (2 people is already a big number of people to talk to :-) , but I think I managed well enough. Sheri says that that was a little growth moment and I think there might be more growing still to come. Things have slowly settled down a little bit, but I’m still working lots of hours. The fact that my cabin also doubles as my office makes it hard to escape from work. During turnover my colleagues tried to make it clear to me that it is important to grab opportunities for doing stuff when you get the chance, just to stay sane and it is after all part of the reason for working here. Luckily my colleagues from the galley have been good about inviting me along with them when they go out. I’ve become better at judging when my IT services are needed the most and when it is quiet enough to go for a hike on land or to go to the gym without being radioed to come and help someone with their computer.
![]() | |
| My friends from the galley. |
![]() |
| Reine |
I have a shower and toilet in my cabin which is a great improvement over Palmer Station because there I had to go down the hall to the boys room which was shared with a lot of other guys. One day I noticed that I really liked the smell of the soap in my shower dispenser, it took me another couple of days before I realized why that was...It was the same stuff we had at Palmer Station. Another improvement as well is the fact that I don’t have to share my cabin with anyone else; I love that. Because I need to check various things on our TV system, my cabin also has a nice big TV screen. Yet another perk is the fact that I have a computer with an “always on” connection to the internet (the crew all have to buy minutes at $20 for 250 minutes) which, of course, I need to be able to do my job. My cabin has a port hole which is my little window on the outside world, situated a little bit above the water line.
![]() | |
| My cabin. |
I usually have it closed, because I like to sleep in a room that is as dark as possible and then I am too lazy to open it in the morning. Some previous inhabitant put up a poster that mimics an opened window looking out at sea, which I quite like it because it makes the room a bit bigger. I also printed some pictures of Sheri to make it feel like she is here with me. Contract periods will usually not be longer than 3 months (compared to 7 months for Palmer Station), but that is still a really long period to be away from one’s wife and other family, especially in times of bad news from home. When someone in the family gets sick or dies, the loneliness and a feeling of powerlessness prevails and I get homesick. At such moments I try to call my family and try to go out on deck in the hope of seeing beautiful scenery.
A normal day starts usually with the rattling sound of the anchor being lowered as we will have reached some new location during the night. Then the voice of the Expedition Leader will come over the PA system wishing everybody a good morning, good morning (always repeated) and describing a little bit of the plan for the morning. I get up and check to see if we still have internet or if we’ve lost the signal in which case I go up to the server room and try and find the satellite. A quick shower and then I go to the breakfast buffet. I have been unable to continue my routine of eating just oatmeal in the morning. Nowadays I will have fresh fruit and an omelet. I will have been greeted by the numerous Philippine waitstaff with everything from and exaggerated Me-chcheel, to Michael and Mr IT. and they will start pouring my black coffee because they remember from day one, that that’s how I like it. I am still trying to memorize all of their names, but luckily we all wear name tags. Breakfast service is great, until the wait staff decide that it is getting too late, at which point I get totally ignored.
After breakfast I show my face at the reception, just in case she has received any IT questions and then I go upstairs to take a little walk outside and at least get some impression of where we are. I also try to visit the bridge to say good morning to them. I then go to my cabin to start work. I make sure to leave my door open, so people can see that I’m actually working and not sleeping. if I’m not very visible, people might not see much of my work. That’s why I also sometimes work in our iCafe, but I don’t like that so much because the ergonomics are not very good there, combined with the fact that there are too many distractions (like guests with questions). Usually when there’s a problem that I could solve remotely, I will choose to physically walk over to the computer and help the person in question. At 10 we have a coffee break where a bunch of officers and some galley people enjoy some coffee and a light snack prepared by the kitchen. I make sure that I always go just for the social aspect. I eat lunch in our officer’s mess (where everyone who is not deck crew eats) and who does not feel obliged to eat with the guests. I usually think that I should take a nap, but in reality I will be doing a bit more work related stuff. After lunch it is usually more of the same, with regular calls on my phone which I answer by saying “IT Michael” (ask you can tell, I have given up on trying to make people pronounce it as Michiel). Towards 5pm I usually tell the reception that I’m going to the gym and that I may be hard to reach. Dinner is at the same time as the guests, which usually means 19:30. I am allowed to eat in the bistro/restaurant, but then I need to be dressed nicely and it will probably take at least an hour if not two, so that’s why I almost always choose to eat in the officers mess.
I’m allowed 2 free (not top shelf) drinks per day (unless I show up in uniform at the daily recap/cocktail hour during which the drinks are free as well), so sometimes I will go to the lounge to order something before heading to bed. Unlike in the beginning, sleep usually comes easy, now that I am settled in enough to not be bothered by any ship noise.
Fun facts:
The current trip (around Svalbard) seems to attract a younger crowd. Te youngest is aged 11 and the oldest is 87, with the average age being: 59.
75% is from the US
20% from Australia and a handful of Danes, Brits and others.
![]() |
| Beautiful Bergen |
![]() |
| It happened to be independence day in Bergen, so lots and lots of traditional dresses. |
![]() |
| Note to self: Bergen has an Ethiopian restaurant. |







4 comments:
Heel goed geschreven Michiel, en prachtige foto's. Mooie hut heb je, dat nep-raam is leuk! Punen van MB.
Hi Michiel...just happened upon your blog post and I'll have to visit here more often. Great reading about how you are settled into your new job and routine on the ship...it all sounds so familiar to our time on the Orion last November. I'm so happy to hear you have a cabin to yourself...so cozy. Gives new meaning to the term 'working from home,' ha ha. I' m pretty sure Sheri posted that she will be working on board with you. Has that happened yet? How amazing! Well, take care and enjoy this wonderful new adventure. All the best, Christine (Powell).
Hi Christine,
Great to hear from you. Sheri's on board now. We just had breakfast together, very nice to have her here.
Michiel
That's so nice. What's happening with you two lately?
Post a Comment