Monday, January 15, 2018

Details, details oops Detaille Island

As usual our ship parks as close as possible and then guests are shuttled over.



Today I had the privilege to go on shore at Detaille Island where the British had their Base W for just a couple of years actually, because the re-provisioning became problematic as a result of too much ice. During 1956 to 1959 they did some good science there in the form of weather observations and mapping the surrounding area, but they actually had to leave in a hurry, when it became apparent that their supply ship could not make it close enough. It leaves us with a slice of Antarctic life of the late 50's.


Detaille Island

Traffic cones to try and manage the guests.



The proper tools to make those artist's impressions

Somehow I think that this is staged by someone who came later.

They left in a hurry alright, if they didn't even take their long underwear.


The building are still in pretty good shape.
But honestly, what I should be writing about is the fact that the second contract is finally coming to an end. Great moments and wonderful landscapes, but challenging work takes its toll and I feel as tired as I used to feel after 7 months working for the USAP.
However there is light at the end of the tunnel in the form of a week-long trip in the Galapagos Islands!!

2 comments:

MBE said...

Why is a workplace like this so important to keep intact? Why not clean and scourge and return to pristine nature?

Michiel said...

Then cruise ships have nothing to visit. If í scratch my name in Antarctic rock it is punishable, but some guy's rock scratching from 100 years ago are now protected. But honestly, it does feel a bit like taking the way out.

Real Time Web Analytics