Monday, January 22, 2007

Penguin Invasion!!!!




After seeing one (1!) Adelie penguin during the whole previous season, we were invaded by a very big group recently. Sunday, January 7 was a lovely sunny day and the icebreaker Oden was busy clearing the ice channel for the supply vessel that arrives in early February. On the ice near the channel were several groups of Adelies running away from the movement of the ship, some of them towards shore.

Word got around town pretty fast, and in no time there were lots of red parkas at Hut Point enjoying the sight. Needless to say that there was a very high camera density.















I spent a couple of hours watching and enjoying the animals. Luckily, I had my laptop with me, so I could empty the memory card of my camera onto it. I can safely say that it was the highlight of the season.

We want to keep these blog postings accessible for people with slow internet connections, so there are only a couple of pictures here, for more stuff click on the links below.

Our picture website

Movies:
Penguins amongst humans
Penguins on the run from icebreaker
slippery

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, wat zijn ze toch leuk! Ik kan me voorstellen dat je er uren naar kunt kijken. Je filmpjes zijn hilarisch!
Heeft Sheri ze ook gezien? Krijg je vrij als er zoiets speciaals gebeurd?

Michiel said...

ja leuk he?
Was het een goed idee om het geluid erbij te laten? Vooral 'slippery' is leuk met het commentaar van de omstanders.

Krijg je vrij als er zoeites speciaals gebeurt? Haha.
Natuurlijk niet, daarom was het zo goed dat het op zondag gebeurde. voor sommige mensen (waartoe ik ook behoor) is het overigens wat makkelijker dan voor andere mensen om wat vrije tijd te maken tijdens hun werk uren.

Sheri said...

I was there, too! Sadly, I was hosting a colleague from Christchurch and he wanted to see more of the station rather than sit and enjoy this remarkable event. It was also the HIGHLIGHT of my season - even with all of the great trips I've taken!

Real Time Web Analytics