Monday, June 27, 2011

Cols, Peaks and Valleys

On another day out, I had great fun and super scenery driving up and over the multiple cols (passes) in the Ariege - some of which have been made famous by the Tour de France, which passes through the Ariege every year.  In fact, I'll be able to watch it from where I am staying on July 16.  Here is the Col d'Agnes and the Port de Lers on Mother's Day.




   

On a less sunny day, I did a local hiking favorite called "Roche Ronde".  The short hike took me to a great lookout spot where I could get a good idea of the valley layout near Saurat, Bedeilhac and Surba.  On the downward part of my loop, the hike passed by some terrific caves which are apparently used for bouldering and climbing routes.  The low cloud on the day I was up on top of Roche Ronde made the skies very dramatic.  The pictures don't come even close to doing it justice.  Special thanks to Caly, my fabulous hiking companion.

The Round Rock from which the hike gets its name
Caly
   



Calames - a popular rock climbing spot

No comments:

Real Time Web Analytics